I love saving money! I don’t know about ya’ll but I also love a great laundry soap. I would vary between the two main brands of laundry soap. There prices ranging between $15.00 to $19.00. As much as I wash clothes, I was buying one every two weeks. I was paying around $390.00 a year on laundry soap. Whoa! Recently Pinterest has opened my eyes to saving money and dressing fashionable, if i say so myself. 😉 I found a money savvy mom blogging about homemade laundry soap. I have never heard of this before! Where have I been?!
Here we go!
- 1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the cleaning/detergent isle
- 1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cleaning/detergent isle
- 1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the cleaning/detergent isle (I totally forgot this and had to go back to the store and buy it! I even made a list! Goodness!)
- 3 bars of Fels-naptha soap, found in the cleaning/detergent isle
- 2 small containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean (try to get at least 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg) I used 5lbs just because it was cheaper. A little more oxyclean never hurts) found in the cleaning/detergent isle.
I found all these items at Walmart for under $21.00. I think the name brand oxyclean pushed me over the previous bloggers price.
How to steps: (we did all these steps outside)
- Open all your boxes and pour the ingredients into a five gallon bucket. We used a bucket from Home Depot with a lid. Once sealed, it makes it easier to mix the ingredients.
- Grate your Fels-naptha soap just like cheese and place it into the five gallon bucket. (The Fels-naptha will dissolve in your washer even if you only use cold water like I do.)
I bought a plastic storage container for just a small amount to sit on my dryer so I don’t have a huge five gallon bucket sitting up there. Other than that, you are all done!
Use 1Tablespoon per load….yes I said ONE! But, just because, I use two…it makes me feel better!
9 months of laundry soap for around $25.00 dollars. Much better than $390.00 a year! (I added in the five gallon bucket price.) Smells like a winner to me!
**This is posted on the original blog.
- -This detergent is safe for HE washers and should be added to the barrel instead of the dispencer.
- -This detergent is safe to use on sensative skin. -It does not have a strong scent, you can add laundry crystals to the batch to add fragrance.
- Some of my followers have used other bar soap instead of Zote or Fels-Naptha. I have personally not tried it but from the feed back I get it sounds like any bar will work.
Special thanks to “Being creative to keep my sanity” Blog! Check her blog out!