Today marks the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the eleventh year of the new millennium. What is the meaning of 11/11/11?
There is no definitive answer, but while the world waits for their calendars and clocks for align with all elevens, let’s take a look at some phenomena surrounding the numbers in the spotlight right now.
1) More than 100 chapels, in fact let’s just say 111 chapels, in Las Vegas are promoting 11/11/11 packages as thousands flock to the city for quickie marriages, MSNBC reported. A great anniversary date for forgetful husbands, an even more welcome boost to Las Vegas tourism.
2) Some consider multiples of 11 to signify luck, but in the United States Code, Chapter 11, Title 11 signifies … bankruptcy.
3) On the last 11/11/11 in 1911, A tornado struck Janesville, Wisc., killing 20 residents.
5) The director of Saw II, III and IV is releasing a film titled “11-11-11” today in limited markets. The film follows an author travelling to Barcelona to see his estranged brother and dying father, where he learns that his life is plagued by events that occur on 11/11/11.
6) Rufus Wainwright, All-American Rejects, Ellen DeGeneres and Regina Spektor have all named either a record label, album or song after the digits of the day.
7) There are rumors swirling that the Great Pyramid in Egypt has been closed due to “unidentified groups” attempting ceremonies at at 11:11 a.m. on Nov. 11, 2011, according to The Associated Press.
8) Many people make a wish when the clock strikes 11:11. On Facebook, there is a page with over 85,000 “likes” promoting a massive worldwide wish on 11-11-11 at 11:11 o’clock. No word on if it is a.m., p.m. or both.
9) Turn it up to 11: ”Spinal Tap” fans are celebrating 11/11/11 as “Nigel Tufnel” Day, a day of honor for the rocker who’s amp went one past 10 for the ultimate hard rock edge, the Huffington Post reported. Celebrations include a screening of “This is Spinal Tap” at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Additionally at Bar Eleven in San Diego, the Spinal Tap tribute band “12″ will be performing 11 cover songs starting at 11:11 p.m.
10) Leonardo DiCaprio celebrates his birthday today on 11/11/11. So in other words, it’s an Elevenception.
11) Tired of elevens already? You can always start looking forward to 12-12-12. One website is pushing to achieve World Peace by that date.
- Are you ready for 11/11/11, aka Nigel Tufnel Day? It will be “one louder.” (4simpsons.wordpress.com)